(injuries of the tendons)
Tendinopath is a generic term for diseases of the tendon caused by wrong ot too strong forces or wearout. There are several different types of tendon injuries:
- Tendinosis: Pathological changes in the tendons and tendon attachments, mostly a cause of overstress or wrong force or metabolic disorders.
- Insertionstendinosis = tendinopathy, when the advance of the tendon is affected.
- Tendinitis: inflammation of tendons and joint capsule.
- Tenosynovitis: inflammation of the fluid-filles sheath (synovium) that surrounds a tendon.
- Tendovaginitis stenosans = Quervain’s disease: inflammation of the tendon sheath ring bands on the wrist, which inhibits the sliding of the finger tendons and makes the movement of the finger painful.
The tendinopathy can be divided into several stages, these are depending on the author: Frans van Bergen cites the following:
- Stage 1: A certain sensitivity, especially for heavier loads (work / sport), which is released several hours later.
- Stage 2: Moderate pain there at the beginning of the sports activity / work and after its termination, but the symptoms remain much longer.
- Stage 3: Pain at the beginning of the effort decreases, but not completely disappear after the exercise and sometimes lasts for days in the form of dull, long lasting light, pulling pain, especially when stress is present. The activity of the patients are not affected.
- Stage 4: The pain is so strong that work and exercises are affected.
- Stage 5: The pain will remain persistent, even at rest.
- Stage 6: Impaired function, it can also occur without previous clinical symtomes.
Injections of steroids were found to be helpful for a short-term (4 weeks), but their long-term effectiveness is controversial.
Tendinitis, tenosynovitis, tendovaginitis often have a bacterial cause and / or are caused by overload. The inflammation is in the foreground. First, a treatment with medication and immobilization is applied. If there is a restriction of function, physiotherapy or manual therapy is necessary. Possible therapeutic approaches to the management of tendinopathy are including rest, change of stressful activity, application of ice, manual trigger point therapy, strengthening, electrotherapy, Kinesio-Taping.
Tendinopathy of the Achilles tendon
An Achilles tendinopathy is considered one of the degenerative diseases, the treatmen depends on the stage of tendinopathy. Discuss the treatment options with your therapist or doctor.